MSoA Home Page
Autism Network International
Sue's Phoenix Workshops
Sensory Integration and Autism
Assistive Technology and Autism
by Susan J. Golubock
and Jim Sinclair
MAKING SCHOOL PROGRAMS INCLUSIVE
FOR AUTISTIC PEOPLE:
Autistic people, regular education and special education educators and support staff, school and program administrators, parents, therapists, school counselors.
Workshop 1 (Jim):
- Autism, Culture, and Community
- Learn about the cultural model of autism, and how it differs from deficit models.
- Consider ways that various autistic characteristics influence how autistic people relate to others.
- Learn about some of the ways autistic people relate to each other in Autistic community settings, and the Autistic culture that has begun to emerge from the creation of shared Autistic spaces.
Workshop 2 (Jim):
- Applying Multicultural Awareness when Working with Autistic People [for those working with Autistic People])
- Explore practical applications of the cultural model in creating positive family, school, workplace, and community connections.
- Learn to use the cultural model as a lens through which to seek understanding of conflicts leading to communication and behavioral difficulties.
[Note: This is a companion workshop to "Autism, Culture, and Community" designed for those who work with Autistic people]
Workshop 3 (Jim):
- A Culture of One? Being Autistic in an NT World [for Autistic people]
- Explore implications of the cultural model in terms of how autistic people think about themselves and about the ways they are different from non-autistic people.
- Consider whether some of the customs that have developed in Autistic communities might be useful in participants' lives.
- Develop skills and confidence in negotiating cultural differences with neurotypical people.
- Learn about opportunities to meet other autistic people and experience Autistic community.
[Note: This is a companion workshop to "Autism, Culture, and Community" designed for Autistic people]
Workshop 4 (Susan):
Workshop 5 (Jim):
Workshop 6 (Susan):
Workshop 7 ():
Return to List
If you are interested in scheduling a Making Sense of Autism Workshop for your group, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail or fax Request Form to Making Sense of Autism, PO Box 11937, Chandler, AZ 85248-11937, fax: 480-802-9104